Special country holiday home
in a converted barn restored by an architect
in Western rural France
Self catering charming lodge
designed for families, friends and disabled people
A comfy and charming 4 * country house for your get-away near the Atlantic coast and the Marais Poitevin.
Near lovely Surgères, 25 mn driving from gorgeous La Rochelle and historic Rochefort.
Designed for 5 or 6, including children, it can be rented together with a next door Cottage sleeping 3, also accessible to disabled people.
2023 Rates and services
|Week (from low to high season)||€450 - €800|
|Additional night if available
|Short stay (3 to 5 nights) except during summertime
|Visitor's tax / person > 18 / night
|Water, electricity, gas||Included|
|Bathroom and kitchen cloth||Provided|
|Sheets renting (optional) with beds made on arrival
||€15 per double bed
€10 per single bed
|Baby equipment (cot, high chair, bath...)||Provided
|Final cleaning by the tenant (before 10 am) - Cleaning kit provided
|Final cleaning by the owner (optional)
|Security deposit on arrival||€300|
- Rental from Saturday to Saturday in July and August. Other periods: please consult us.
- Check in: 4 pm - Check out: 10 am
- Free WIFI.
- Some basic products are supplied on arrival (toilet paper, bin bags, organic cleaning products etc).
Guest book in English
For your comfort
- High quality beds sizing 160 x 200 cm and 90 x 190 cm.
- Low temperature heating in main room.
- Electrical radiators in bedrooms and bathroom.
- TV set downstairs and monitor for DVD upstairs.
- Books and games.
- Fan, ironing equipment, vacuum cleaner...
- Opened kitchen with a sink, a dish-washer, a gas cooker with extractor hood, a refrigerator with a little freezer, a micro-wave oven, an electric coffee maker and boiler, a toaster etc.
- Bathroom with shower, sink and toilets (accessible to wheelchair).
- Separate toilets and sink (accessible to wheelchair).
- Laundry in a separate building (shared with other guests and owners): washing machine, electrical dryer, sink, toilets.
- Tourist information.
- Free access to parkland shared with owners and other guests.
- Deck chairs and outdoor furniture.
- Outdoor games: swings, table tennis, volley-ball, badminton, pétanque.
- Free access to the village tennis court.
- Private parking accessible to wheelchair.
- In the village: Romanesque church, football field, mini stadium, tennis court, outdoor playing area, country paths for walking or biking. Fresh baguettes everyday in a bread dispenser.
- Market place, many shops, supermarkets and services in Surgères (5 km).
A contemporary, bright, spacious and relaxing gîte in a very old stone building
"Le Chai": so named to remember the old cognac distillery at Le Clos de la Garenne
This family gîte is located at the end of a stone building dating from the 17th century over-looking at the first garden of the property. Though independent from the manor house and its bed and breakfast, this holiday home offers a user friendly proximity. It can also be rented together with the Cottage family bedroom at the other end of the building for a bigger family or for several disabled people.
This holiday accommodation can sleep five to six people and a baby. It has an independent pedestrian access by a little gate and a private parking for one car. The big terrace is continued by the first garden of the property which includes 4 ha (10 acres) of wooded parkland shared with the owners and the other guests.
The windows are facing East and South, the thick walls are made of stones, the roof has got traditional roman tiles. Thick wood insulation, a huge bay window from ground to roof catching the sun, double glazing etc have been used by our brother architect (*) to refurbish the barn in a sustainable way. Its design combines much brightness with a very good phonic and thermal insulation, whatever the season.
On its groundfloor, Le Chai is fully accessible to the disabled people in a wheelchair while the first floor, under the roof and the beautiful old oak beam system is completely atypical, unusual and special. The youngest love it!
White ceiling and walls, light coming from many different windows, the impressive volume showing off the brushed timber structure, oak floors, custom-built ash-tree staircases, ironwork and restored antique family furniture altogether offer a very charming and relaxing atmosphere to this holiday home.
Balancing between modernity and tradition on two levels:
- Ground floor (fully accessible): a big open space living room (entrance, sitting area, dining area and kitchen), disabled toilet (with washbasin and storage), a double bedroom (160 x 200 cm bed) with en suite bathroom (Italian-style shower, washbasin, toilet), two opposite staircases leading to other bedrooms.
- Upstairs (under the roof with lower beams): On the left, the ash-tree traditional staircase leads to a double bedroom (160 x 200 cm bed) which communicates (mini door under the beam) with the mezzanine (games, books etc). On the right, the modern staircase leads to a small sitting room (DVD monitor, library) with a sofa bed (90 x 190 cm) and a tiny charming child cabin room attached to the roof (mini door under the beam) with a 80 x 190 cm bed. The sitting room also communicates with the mezzanine, passing under the beam!
Total living space: 93 m².
Total floor space downstairs: 66 m² (living room 33 m², kitchen area 11 m², toilets 4 m², bathroom 7 m², bedroom 11 m²).
Total living space upstairs (1,80m high): 27 m².
Total floor space upstairs (under roof and beams): 55m² (bedroom 15 m², mezzanine 19 m², sitting room 17 m², child room 4 m²).
(*)Philippe Commun Architecte | 23 rue Jean Macé | 79000 Niort | 05.49.35.63.59 | email@example.com